discipline

before i had kids and was a teacher i was a firm believer in disciplining your children. i always said that when i had kids i would be on top of their discipline. i believed in spanking. heck, i spank my dog when she is bad (which happens a lot more since having kids, poor bo). to be honest, and not biased at all, carson has been such an easy kid. never really getting in to trouble, always being so sweet and listening to what we say. enter being 3. some have said that 2 was a piece of cake, but watch out for 3. in the grand scheme of things carson is not that bad, but for us, who are not used to any of this, it's bad. throwing himself on the ground, ignoring what we are saying, doing something even when we tell him not to, throwing a fit at bedtime, etc. where did my sweet, sweet boy go???
so the other day i was trying to get carson dressed. he was laying on one side of my bedroom and i was sitting on the other side. i asked him several times to come over to me, he needed to get dressed. he laid on the floor and pretend not to hear me. i know he heard me and i know he was ignoring me. i told him i would count to 5 and he needed to come to me or he would be in "trouble." nothing, so i started to count. now, in his defense i have never done this with him but as i was counting he held up his hand and counted along with his fingers. so as i said, one, he held up one finger, two, two fingers and so on. that little joker! how do you not laugh at that? it took all my will power to not crack up and go tickle him. so i got to five, and his little hand was held in the air with all five fingers out, i went over to him, picked him up and popped him on the butt. i had to make good on my threat, right? he's way too smart and would totally figure me out if i didn't. well, he understood at that point that i meant business. i'm just hoping that this little phase is gone soon!

my sweet guy (99.9% of the time, anyway!)

Comments

Avery Tales said…
That little stinker!! I've been there so many times. I try my best not to laugh and it's never easy. Just know you're not alone. :)
The Solomons said…
oh, tell it Lauren, tell it! Sometimes it's soooo hard not to laugh...and then it's so hard not to pop! ;)
Lauren, This is good for you and Carson (and even Brooks to see you mean business). Carson will learn really fast that he needs to listen to his mommy. Yes three is one of the hardest years, but four is a wonderful age (they really want to please you all the time). So hang in there!