Botox Appointment

We had our consultation today with the neurologist. I always get nervous when we go see a new doctor but I really liked this one. He was SO good with Carson and with me. He explained everything so that I could understand and also told me Carson is very smart! Always a plus. He also said for being a 26 weeker Carson was very impressive, again, we knew that but coming from a brain doctor makes me feel so good. Anyway, he thinks Carson is a perfect candidate for Botox injections. He thinks it will do just what we need so that walking on his own becomes easier...I would try to explain the process and how it does work but I would butcher it and probably would not make any sense. Basically it blocks messages being sent from the brain to the muscles. When Carson tries to walk he uses his larger muscles instead of the ones needed for walking, so this will allow his PT to build those "core" muscles and let his brain learn how to walk. Because of his bleed as a baby we have to learn how to do things differently. Walking is pretty much the last major thing we need to master. He is so ready and wants to so badly but just cant, so the Botox will hopefully allow it to happen. So now we have to get it scheduled. Hopefully it will be within the next 3-4 weeks, pending insurance cooperating. Also, they do not have to put him under, thank goodness! I was so worried about that but all they use is a topical numbing cream. The doctor said he has even injected himself to see what it feels like and it doesn't hurt at all.

We also went to the pediatrician on Monday. Both boys are doing great. Carson gained 1 lb 5 oz in 2 months!! That was the biggest gain he has ever had. Whoooo Hooooo. He now weighs a whopping 20 lbs. 9 oz. He is on the charts for height now, the 5th percentile! It took 2 years but we made it to the real chart, not the "Carson" chart as his doctor likes to call it. Brooks is 10 lbs and 21 1/4 in long. He is in the 50th % for weight and the 25th for height. Little man had to get 3 shots and it was pitiful to see him cry but he recovered quite well and even made it to Toys R Us afterwords. That's all for now. Sorry if I rambles and didn't make sense about the Botox, it's so hard to remember all the specifics.

Please pray for me this weekend. I am playing my first tennis match since August when I found out I was pregnant. It could be ugly!

Comments

The Solomons said…
Lauren, We need to talk! I too may soon start Botox from my neurologist (for migraines). It sounds like a wonderful fix.....keep us posted on how Carson does. Best of luck!
skillethead said…
I'm thinking of a little bit just around the eyes to get rid of those crow's feet (actually more like Big Bird feet).

Good luck on the botox stuff. Love the pictures! Want to see more movies!