Round Three

I spent another evening last night in the hospital :( I knew by the afternoon that is where I was headed after several hours of continuous contractions. I was feeling OK but for some reason my medicine wasn't doing it's job? I feel like a celebrity when I go in now, I always see people I know. The admissions lady knew me and then when we went back I heard someone call my name and then give me a hug. It was the nurse who admitted me when I came in the the boys 2 years ago and then she had Carson several times right before he came home! After filling in all my friends as to what was going on I got all hooked up to the monitors and the nurse checked to see if I was dialed and did a FFN (I will not try and spell out the name of this test but it basically tells them if I will go in to labor in the next 2 weeks) test and both were negative. Phew, big relief, but I was still contracting. SO, I suggested that maybe I was dehydrated. I have no idea how seeing that I am drinking a river of water every day but it seemed to work last time. The doctor agreed and thought he would start with fluids first since it didn't seem that I was in true labor. So in come the nurse and a student nurse....excuse me? I surely do not think they are going to let a student start my IV??? If you know me, then you know just how much I HATE IV's. Sure enough, the student nurse gets to "try" to start the thing. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for the learning by doing process, just not on me! So I pretend to be a big girl and say sure go ahead. As she is looking for my veins, which are not easy to find, I'm thinking this can not be good. I'm told to take a big breath and....oh no, the vein rolled....search for vein again....big breath....hum, I'm not sure if I've got it. By this time I am squeezing Andrew's hand so hard and grinding my teeth. After a few shots at trying to get it she stops. I at this point am about to pass out. Finally, the other nurse who is trying to teach takes over and gets one started right away. The student nurse kept apologizing and I did feel bad for her but holy crap!

After all of that and a few hours of fluids things had calmed down. Not totally but enough to let me go home. I was also offered a sleeping pill to help me get a good night's rest, ummm yes please. I was almost out by the time we got home 20 minutes later. I have come to the realization that I am just going to be one of those people who may have to make a few more trips just to make sure I am not in labor and get some fluids. Just as long as my little guy is safe and sound I will do whatever it takes. By the way, I am 28 weeks today!!! My third trimester! I am now in uncharted waters and it feels great. Let's hope we can hang on for a few more weeks!!! Thanks for all the e-mails, facebook messages, prayers, and thoughts! I am so blessed to have so many people looking out for me and my family.

Comments

Aunt Suzanne said…
We are all glad that you are safely home and also at 28 weeks. Hooray, we will cheer when you pass 3o, 32, 35, etc.
I have difficult veins so I certaily understand the joys of skilled nurses and technicians. Despite that I am back to giving blood again and am happy to give some if you need it down the road.
Drink and rest, drink and rest, drink and rest!
Love, Aunt Suzanne and Uncle Lawrence
The Cains said…
So glad that you are home and you and baby are okay. 28 weeks is fabulous!!!! You can do it!!! You're such a trooper!!
Unknown said…
Congratulations on making it this far. We are praying for you and just know everything will be better this time. I would just like to add (being a student nurse at one time in my life) that I am sure she was just as nervous as you were. Heck I still get nervous starting IVs. Good luck and we are praying for you!
skillethead said…
I got faint just reading the blog.
Betsy said…
hey lauren ~ i just read your blog update....please know you are always in my thoughts and prayers! can't wait to meet baby boy hess!!