Checking In

Not a whole lot going on here. I know how everyone gets when they don't see a new post so I thought I would update. According to our scale at home Carson is now 11 lbs! His new favorite thing to do is try to fit his entire fist in his mouth. It makes it fun to try and feed him because he will try to put his fingers in his mouth while his bottle is in there too. Maybe he can be on Letterman's Stupid Human Tricks one day!

I did have a moment of mamma bear protecting her young the other day. Carson and I went to watch Granny Carol play tennis. One of the ladies on the other team asked how old the newborn was? Granny told her he was actually five months old but was a preemie. You think someone would leave it there, but no, the lady responded, "He's still pretty small for a 5 month old" This is when my surge of protectiveness came over me. I turned to the lady and told her that he was 1 lb 15 oz when he was born, he was in the NICU for 85 days, he actually is pretty big to us now. I wanted to add a few expletives in there, but chose not to. Anyone who knows me on the tennis court knows that was some real self control there :O ! I guess I will get that feeling for the rest of my life now! It felt pretty good...

I'll put up pictures next time. We got a new computer and it will be much faster to do we just have to set it up first. Till next time...

Comments

I can understand wanting to defend your little one. One night a mom in the NICU waiting room was complaining because the unit was closed for a 24 weeker that was sick (who ended up going home to his Heavenly Father). She was complaining because she couldn't see her Healthy babies and because she wanted to get her breast milk in to her twins. When she heard that the unit was to remain closed for this baby, she hit the roof (and my dear sweet quiet husband gave her a tiny piece of his mind). She didn't quite understand that the purpose of the NICU is to help babies get to a "go home" point - whether that is 2 days or 4 months! I think we as long time NICU parents have such empathy for what other parents are going through especially if we have been through it too. And we have the need to stand up for not just our own but all the tiny tikes out there!!

God bless, Lauren. Protect that little one and don't ever let anyone make you feel odd about it - they don't know the circumstances!! If they did, their comment would always be "what a blessed miracle he is!"

In His Love, Kelly Ellis
The Cains said…
Lauren,

I think 11 pounds is HUGE!! He is doing great and you are a great mother. Way to stand up for your little one!! Hope Carson cheers us on to another victory this weekend. Take care,
Megann
Lauren,
Some people just are ignorant and don't know what they are talking about. Just ignore her. And you will not have to defend him the rest of your life, he will catch up to his peers in no time. Then all this will be a distant memory as you make new and exciting memories with Carson running, talking, jumping and just being a boy! Hang in there! Joelle
Dear Lauren,

It's funny how people can say some of the stupidest things. People were always telling me how fat Bennett was. Thanks a lot - right! I think most people mean well but perhaps don't think before they speak. It is ok to ignore people but sometimes it is so hard! She needed the full story. Next time she may be more sensitive. If not - I am advocating the expletives! We love you!

Amy, Scott, and Bennett
Rachel said…
I was just wondering how many parents could say that their child had more than quintupled his birthweight in five months...?

To all the ignorant folks who comment on this or that all you gotta say is "The doctor says he's healthy, and we think he's perfect!" (of course, the expletives can be much more satisfying...)

:-)
The Columbus Clan