Another Surgery :(

Carson will have another surgery tomorrow morning. We went in for a neurological follow up and Dr. Reisner thought he should go ahead and put a shunt in. This will be the permanent one that hopefully will never need to be messed with again. I wasn't really prepared for him to tell us he needed surgery, I thought it would be just a routine follow up. I guess in the back of my mind I always knew that the shunt was likely but you always like to think you are the exception. The doctor made sure to tell us that this is in no way a failure or handicap, it is only going to help him even more. He told us he knows several very successful people, including a football player, who are living normal lives with the shunt. In fact one of our neighbors has one and he lives a totally normal life (and he went to Auburn, he must be a genius!).

It is a bit scary for us though. The last time we were at Scottish Rite wasn't fun at all and I once again have to watch as they wheel my baby away and I have to sit a wait until I hear everything is OK, which I know it will be, but as a parent you don't ever want to have to go through it. Let's just pray that this is the last time. Think all positive thoughts tomorrow and send a few prayers up for us tonight. I'll let everyone know how things go.

Comments

Rachel said…
Lauren, so sorry to hear Carson has to go back in so soon. I hope all goes well. We'll be thinking good thoughts for you, Andrew and baby Carson.

Love to all of you,
Rachel
Lisa said…
I'm sending all the positive vibes I have your way and lots of love, too,
Lisa
skillethead said…
What Lisa said.
Love,
Jeff
Unknown said…
Praying hard and knowing everything will be fine!
Love you,
Beth
The Cains said…
Praying hard this morning-I know God will give you the strength and resolve you both need this morning to get through this. Carson is a fighter-he'll pull through this just fine. Sending positive energy your way.

Love
Megann Bates Cain
Stephen said…
This isn't like the other trips to the doctor. This time you have a healthy little rascal rather than a fragile little rascal. He'll be fine and so will you. It'll be done with before you know it.
Adrienne said…
I hope it goes well, and for your sake, quickly! Poor little guy may never get a chance to grow hair if they keep shaving it off!

-A
Unknown said…
Lauren,

We are keeping him on our prayers and sending all of you positive thoughts. Love,

Renata
Bridget said…
We are all thinking of y'all. We love that little man.

Love
Bridget and Family