Getting Closer to Coming Home

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, our computer was not working for some reason. You never realize how much you depend on your technology until it isn't working!

Anyway, Mr. Carson is doing great! It feels so good to be able to say that with out worrying I'm jinxing myself. He really is doing great. He's 4 lbs 4 oz and growing. He was able to come off his nasal canula for almost two days. They put him back on it so that he isn't burning more calories trying to breathe and keep up his body temp. They tapped his head two days ago for the first time in almost 3 weeks and only got 6 mL of fluid. Dr. Leigh said he would like him to go home by next week! When I heard that I panicked. I don't have his room ready! We still have to paint, get all his bedding, get a chair, etc. I haven't done anything in there since they were born. I never thought we would be at this point where he would be home soon. I am keeping a realistic view on him actually coming home next week though. He still has to be able to do some things before they will send him home and we don't want him to come home before he is ready either but the fact that they think he may be ready is exciting enough for me. I had prepared myself to sit in the NICU for the summer and I may actually not have to do that!

Comments

The Cains said…
Congratulations Hess Family!!! This is WONDERFUL news!!! Sounds like you all are going to have an exciting and fun-filled summer! I'm so proud of Carson-he's working hard to get home! I know God will continue to pull you all through this journey.

Love
Megann Bates Cain
I am so excited for you!!! I know you must be excited, too. We will be praying that he comes home soon. I can't wait to meet him.
Unknown said…
What wonderful news! He'll never know if the room isn't finished! I'll be praying that he's home sooner than soon! God Bless you!
Beth
Mona Donat said…
Lauren & Andrew,
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to hear about the remarkable progress that Carson is making. He will be home before you know it and you'll begin to enjoy all the wonderful things that make little baby boys so special. Carson is such a blessing and has already touched the lives of so many people. Can't wait to meet him! Congratulations! Mona
Bridget said…
HOORAY!!!! Don't worry about the room...he'll just be happy to be home. Enjoy the good news!
Love,Bridget
Rachel said…
So glad to hear the Carson is nearly ready to go home! Don't worry the least little bit about not having his room ready--he won't be in it for months yet! With feedings every few hours (or more!) and you just wanting to be in the room with him to hear him breathe, I'm sure Carson will be sleeping with you and Andrew. Dash was--That is, until he became such a loud sleeper we had to move him out just so WE could sleep! Even then, we just moved his little bassinet into the master bath so that he was only one room away.
No matter how you do it, or how his room looks I know you will love having him home with you. I'm still sad to think that you're only bringing home one son, but I am glad that Carson is nearly strong enough to be in his own home with you.
Much love to all of you,
Rachel, James and cousin Dash