Cooper's Service

I want to describe to all of you reading this, as you were not able to be there. The sun was shinning and it was truly a beautiful day. I wasn't really sure what or how I would feel. As Andrew and I drove in to the cemetery we were asked by a guide if we were immediate family. I all of the sudden realized we were as immediate as they get, we were the parents. I can say that this is something that no parent ever wants to have to go through. As we drove closer I could see how tiny his little casket was. Andrew and I sat in the front row with both of our parents next to us I realized that we had created this beautiful life. Even though he was only here for 40 days he has brought together so many. He was here for a purpose. Throughout his service I felt a real sence of peace.

The Chaplin who baptised him at Scottish Rite performed the ceremony. It was just perfect. She read the poem cousin Linsey wrote ( I will post it below) and expressed her observation of the family we have surrounding us. Not only in person, but through this website and all the people responding to it (and those who don't because they can't figure out the google account!). We are SO lucky to have all of you out there following us and supporting us. What a wonderful thing technology is! Andrew and I truly appreciate the cards, flowers, e-mails, and posts.

My cousin Linsey ( who also wrote the poem) took some wonderful pictures of Carson the morning before Cooper's memorial. As soon as she edits them and sends them to me I will post them, you will all be amazed as they are beautiful. I may be a little biased though.

I also want to thank the nurses of the NICU who were at Cooper's memorial this afternoon. Melinda, Lisa, and Jennifer all represented the wonderful staff who took care of Cooper and who continue to take care of Carson. We can not thank them enough for all of their hard work and dedication.

Linsey's Poem read at Cooper's Memorial:


A life cut short,I instinctively ask why,
Why did he leave us?Why did God let him die?
Sometimes there are no explanations,No answers to the “why”,
No opportunities to reason,No easy way to say goodbye.
He taught us lessons,What it means to be brave,
To have so much strength,Only love to us he gave.
We’ll forever have the memories,Of this tiny fearless man,
Who now can watch his brother,And carry out their plan.
Exactly what that plan is,Only time will tell,
A sweet little angel in heaven,To keep the family well.

Love,
Cousin Linsey

Comments

Unknown said…
Dear Lauren,
I hope I can express myself as well as you have been doing. I sat down and read all your notes. I truly admire the strength you and Andrew have shown all this time. Cooper must be smiling down at you from heaven above. Carson will grow up in one of the most amazing families ever. You are one of those rare people who is beautiful inside and out. I wish you the best for you all deserve it.
Adrienne said…
What a perfect ceremony and place for Cooper to rest. It sounds like it was a lovely tribute to your son and all that he inspired in his short, sweet life.
Can't wait to see the pictures of Carson.
Lauren and Andrew,

Jimmy and i would like to express our admiration for how strong you and Andrew have been through all of this. I was so happy to hear that you felt a sense of peace being that Im sure that is just how Cooper feels. Cooper really inspired all of us and always will. We can't wait to see the pictures of Carson. Keep smiling:)

Andrea and Jimmy
Unknown said…
Lauren and Andrew,

I think your cousin can really express what we all feel. Even though we are far away, I think about you and your family all the time and admire your strenght so much. Your boys have been so lucky to have parents like you! From what you describe it seems the place and service were beautiful, just as your precious little boy deserved. Can~t wait to hear more about Carson.
Renata
Stephen said…
I think it makes it a little more bearable for all of your friends grieving with you to know that your faith is so strong and that you are leaning on Jesus. That is the only way to emerge from such a sad time. Trust me when I tell you that Jesus will bring you out on the other side of such dark times and there will be great days ahead.

Our family's sympathy remains with you all. God Bless.